- 09 Jul 2003
Kiyokuni (Kiyo) KAWACHIYA, Ph.D.
Senior Technical Staff Member
Senior Manager, Systems & Strategy, IBM Research - Tokyo
19-21, Nihonbashi Hakozaki-cho, Chuo-ku, Tokyo 103-8510, Japan
My interest is 'systems software', such as operating systems and programming languages. I worked for developing Java™ JIT compiler with its runtime, accelerating Java locks, and reducing the startup overhead of Java applications. I am also interested in virtualization and cloud technologies. Recently, I am working for the analysis and reduction of memory footprint of Java and also for programming languages on Java such as X10. Cloud enablement of distributed systems, performance analysis of POWER and HPC applications, and AI framework optimizations are also part of my interest.
I am a member of Association for Computing Machinery (ACM, Distinguished Member), Information Processing Society of Japan (IPSJ, Senior Member, Ex Director, and Ex Auditor), and Japan Society for Software Science and Technology (JSSST, Editorial Committee Member and Ex Board Member).
'Java' is a trademark or registered trademark of Oracle and/or its affiliates.
Brief Personal History
- I was born in 1963 at Osaka, Japan.
- I graduated the University of Tokyo in 1985.
- I received M.S. degree in Information Science from the University of Tokyo in 1987, and received Ph.D. degree in Media and Governance from Keio University in 2005 [Ph.D. thesis].
- Since joining IBM Tokyo Research Laboratory (now called 'IBM Research - Tokyo' since September 2009) in 1987, I have been working on operating systems, multimedia systems, mobile information devices, and Java execution runtime.
- I received IPSJ Convention Award (1994), IPSJ Best Paper Award (2005), JSSST Takahashi Award (2008), and was recognized as an ACM Distinguished Engineer (2015).
Recent Academic Activities
Advisory Board Member of Top Runners in Strategy of Transborder Advanced Researches (TRiSTAR) Program.
Selection Committee Member of IPSJ/ACM Award for Early Career Contributions to Global Research.
Committee Member of IPSJ International AI Programming Contest (SamurAI Coding).
PC Chair of 17th Forum on Information Technology (FIT2018).
PC Member of JSSST PPL2018 Workshop.
PC Member of JSSST PPL2016 Workshop.
PC Member of JSSST PPL2015 Workshop.
External Reviewer of Euro-Par 2014 International Conference.
External Reviewer of 2014 International Symposium on Code Generation and Optimization (CGO2014).
External Reviewer of 10th International Conference on Aspect-Oriented Software Development (AOSD2011).
PC Member of JSSST PPL2010 Workshop.
- 09 Jul 2003
- 09 Jul 2003
- 02 Nov 2001
- 06 Jul 2001
- 27 Mar 2001
- 19 Sep 1996
Message Passing Apparatus For Determining If Counted Acknowledgements From A Set Of Processors Are Within A Defined Range
- 18 Jun 1996
- 16 Apr 1996